Search

A $50 Smart Gadget Transformed How I Do Laundry - The New York Times

Two screen shots from the SmartDry sensor's app, alerting user to the dryness of the laundry.

The SmartDry hub (the part that sits outside the dryer) looks like something my kid cobbled together using Lego pieces. It’s ugly and oversized—but it works. And SmartDry has a new hub coming out in May that’s trimmer and looks more like a smart plug.  Also, it will enable a cool new feature: If you have a gas dryer, you can plug it directly into that new hub, and it will automatically shut off your dryer once your clothes are actually dry. I tested an early version of the new model, and it works as well as the current one. But because I have an electric dryer, I wasn’t able to test the shut-off function. SmartDry says a model for electric dryers is expected in 2022.

The SmartDry sensor works with both iOS and Android apps, but they are slightly different, and in my testing the Android version looked and functioned better. It has a visual timer, tracks dryness levels, and includes the option for follow-up alerts. (SmartDry says the iOS version should be updated to match by the end of summer 2021.)

SmartDry supports Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, so you can ask a smart speaker about your laundry status. However, integration with both platforms is wonky. The Alexa skill (which is like an app) isn’t native. This means Alexa is more of a middleman, and all of your voice commands need to request that Alexa relay your questions to SmartDry. (“Alexa, ask SmartDry if my clothes are dry.”) Alexa sends SmartDry alerts via Alexa Notifications, so again, you’ll need to ask what’s up. Getting that information announced out loud requires a whole separate skill. SmartDry doesn’t offer any type of notification option for Google users yet, just the ability to ask about status. And iOS users need to email the company in order to activate Google smart speakers.

Despite those flaws, SmartDry delivered on its promise for me, and in the process it has made me more conscious of how I do laundry—and more efficient. If you’re not in the market for a new dryer, but you want to give your existing one an upgrade, the SmartDry sensor is a worthwhile purchase. Unfortunately, my family continues to create plenty of laundry, so I will keep testing and report back with any new developments.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



"gadget" - Google News
March 25, 2021 at 05:17PM
https://ift.tt/3fa6QRO

A $50 Smart Gadget Transformed How I Do Laundry - The New York Times
"gadget" - Google News
https://ift.tt/2ykEYqK


Bagikan Berita Ini

1 Response to "A $50 Smart Gadget Transformed How I Do Laundry - The New York Times"

  1. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their email at ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.